There are unusual places where pharmacy internship can be done in Nigeria. I usually am bombarded with questions from young pharmacists asking for where pharmacy internship can be done in Nigeria. So, I want to share some unusual places where you can do your pharmacy internships.
- RETAIL PHARMACIES – There are now over 200 retail pharmacies across Nigeria where pharmacy internship can be done. The pay may not be as great as the big government hospitals but with a retail pharmacy, you will truly learn the business of pharmacy which is quite different from the practice of pharmacy. You can get a list HERE OR go to the PCN office of your state and get the latest list of accredited retail pharmacies where pharmacy internship can be done.
- PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES – A lot of pharmaceutical companies involved in importation and distribution are also accredited for internship. Companies like Ranbaxy, Emzor are acredited for internship. You can also get the list from PCN office
- GOVERNEMENT AGENCIES – There are some government agencies with some funny names that are also approved for internship. They may not offer you so much experience but at least you can get your internship over with and move into the real practice of pharmacy
- MISSIONARY HOSPITALS – This is another little know area but where pharmacy internship space are usually in abundance. A lot of these hospitals rarely get their internship vacancies filled.
- Local government health facilities – Some Local government health facilities are also approved for internship but you need to verify before you start.
- NORTHERN STATES – For some reasons, young pharmacists rarely apply for the available vacancies in the health facilities of the northern states in Nigeria. Now this might be a challenge for non northerners because of the security challenge but at least pharmacists from the Northern part of Nigeria can help de-congest the applications in the south by applying to fill this Northern health facilities internship vacancies.
Contact this author on